August 17, 2015

The Compton

Well. Another week in the LA. The Compton. What is that movie "Straight Outta Compton" about? There are bulletin boards all over.  I wanna be a thug when I grow up. Wait. 

I love the mission. I love everything about it. Gah.

A little more info about the mish. We have a car, so we have to be conscious about miles and that sort, which stinks. We drive up to Santa Monica probably twice a week, which is a big hole in our miles and let me tell you. TRAFFIC is insane.  Like,  wow. Rush hour starts at 2pm and ends at 9pm. Then starts at 7am and ends at 2pm, so it's always an adventure. But! We drove through a part of the city this week and it is so cool! I love LA! 

So our area is Compton and a narrow strip of Lawndale. We study from 8 to 11am, lunch in the apartment usually, then language study from 12 to 1pm and then we go out and work! Dinner usually around 6pm with a member, then visits and such til 9pm. Its awesome and I love the schedule. 
LA Temple

We had the opportunity to provide service at the temple. Elder Guerrero and I took down all the outside lights in the Visitor Center Apartments and cleaned them out. We were in the shade and outside the whole time so we definitely got the luck of the draw, haha. Also, we got to go to Visitors Center with our investigators Brenda and Daniela (I found out I can use their names :)). They were the ones baptized two weeks ago but haven't been confirmed. Which leads us into...they didn't show up to church on Sunday to get confirmed. We had an awesome time with them on Saturday night and felt the Spirit and everything...had them committed, but they didn't show up. Long story short, we are worried about them, and need to put all our focus on them this week. 

BUT! We had an awesome week! :) Maybe not mind-blowing in the "numbers" department, but we had some really cool experiences. We have this girl, Yolanda we started teaching and exactly how the Spirit told me what to say in the MTC with Ofelia, it happened here with Yolanda. It was so cool and Elder Guerrero and I were feeling the Spirit, and I know she was feeling it, and I'll be honest, I almost cried. I almost lost it, haha. It was super cool, gahh, I love the mission. And what's cool, is I can teach, testify, and share the Gospel with the Spirit even when my Spanish is awful, haha. :)

Spanish is still hard, and I know it's going to be even that much harder when there is English all around. But I'm grateful, and it's coming! Elder Guerrero and I came up with a good plan to help me get going this week. By this time next week, I'll be able to say my name in Spanish. Which leads me to this: No one can say Ekberg. Like no one. So I've started introducing myself as "Elder Buenas Suerte". Its a joy. haha

I invite everyone to join me in reading the Book of Mormon starting today until Christmas. :) #blessings
View from a members house, first day in the Mission!


I get mail on Fridays and only Fridays. P-day is Monday. I get an iPad either next week or in like 6 weeks, idk, no one really knows. Umm, what else... I miss you all! I love you all! I'm thankful for all you do and all your prayers! Keep up the great work, and I'll keep up the great work here in Compton! :)

God Speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment